From the book: "The Survivor's Handbook - Eating Right for Cancer Survival"
Copyright 2003, The Cancer Project, www.cancerproject.org
This recipe from PCRM Weight Loss Study Cooking Demonstrations,
contributed by PCRM nutrution director Amy Lanou, Ph.D.
my contributions are in parentheses
- 1 orange
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks (English cucumber, unpeeled)
- 8 fresh basil leaves, sliced (haven't used these yet)
tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
(rice vinegar is milder than
ordinary white vinegar;
'seasoned' means sugar and salt have
you can buy it prepared or make your own - I like
this: 1/2 c vinegar, 4 tsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt)
- cracked black pepper, to taste (I'm allergic to fresh black pepper so this is optional)
- Peel the orange and cut the peeled fruit into bite-sized chunks.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the orange, red pepper, sugar snap peas, cuccumber and basil.
- Sprinkle with rice vinegar and season with pepper.
- Toss and serve.
We plan to try with the following additional ingredients:
1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
1 cup young green string beans cut into 1 inch pieces - or 1/2 c green beans + 1/2 c sugar snap peas